Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 December 2012

How To Be Patient And In Control

After my first successful week in my new telesales job I am pleased to say I'm writing again. The positive side of my new job is I have more money to play with, but the downside is I have less time to write. However, I am still determined to keep writing and I have demonstrated this by producing 9,000 words in just over a month.

But there is certainly one thing I need more of and that is patience.

In a world where everything is instantly obtainable, one's writing goals are indeed never ending. Sometimes it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Every project we hope to complete seems to increase in length the closer we are to finishing it.

So how do we achieve our goals and put everything back into perspective?

Well we must find the courage to carry on, the determination to succeed while warding off doubts, fear and depression. And most of all, we must learn to ignore impatience.

There are certain things in a writer's life that we have no control over. When we send our finished manuscript to an editor for a final polish, we have no control over how long it's going to take them to get the job done. When we are liaising with artists, arranging our book covers, we have no control over how long it will take them to produce the final piece of art. And when we put our finished product up for sale we have no control over how many people will buy it.

These are things we cannot change or have any control over so it's best just to focus on the things within our control. Things like continuing to write, continuing learning how to write by taking courses or reading books. Researching different writing styles, and putting energy into maintaining our online presence.

How do you conquer impatience?

No comments:

Post a Comment